Western Machine Works specializes in equipment repair, upgrades, and manufacture of critical hydro components such as turbine runners, wicket gates, turbine shafts, gate shift rings, and other precision equipment.
Our engineering-focused solutions and responsiveness set our team apart. No matter how complex your project is, our technicians and engineers can provide reliable solutions, with our experience in fabrication, welding, machining, metallizing, balancing, shaft manufacturing, reverse engineering, and project management.
Western Machine Works responds to your emergency or scheduled shutdowns as urgently as possible, with our 24/7 rapid response and in-house transportation capability. We provide cost-saving and time-efficient service options to get your hydropower operations up and running as soon as possible.
- Experienced in manufacturing hydro components, including gate shift rings, Kaplan turbine throat liners, and other large precision components.
- Newly fabricated components are fit-tested and inspected prior to delivery and installation.
- On-site dimensional measurements of existing components to ensure new parts fit correctly.
- Welding technicians are certified to meet AWS and ASME standards for repair and for fabricating new components.
- Weld repairs of wicket gates, turbine shafts, and other components to extend the life and reliability of parts.
- Fixtures and positioners are used to rotate parts so weld material is applied uniformly.
- Restoring degraded and damaged components using a twin-wire arc metallizing process with 420 stainless steel coating.
- Parts with severe erosion, corrosion, and wear are repaired and protected.
- Highly beneficial to hydro applications including wicket gates, turbine shaft bearing fits, packing areas, and headcovers.
- Proven reliable and a cost-saving option to OEM replacements.
- Balancing high speed components at operational speed using a Schenck balancing machine.
- Single components and/or assemblies are balanced to ISO specifications to match your operating parameters.
- Manufacturing various shafts including turbine runner shafts up to 485″ long.
- Modifying existing shaft designs to meet updated operating parameters.
- Specializing in tight tolerances to assure smooth operation of shafts and assembled components.
- Includes final dimensional inspection and documentation.
Engineering & Project Management
- Skilled team in designing new equipment and upgrading existing components.
- Providing CAD blueprints, manufacturing drawings, and field measurements of critical dimensions.
- Project management services include assistance throughout the entire project from conceptual planning to re-installation and start up assistance.
with 24/7 Rapid Response
Achieve Peak Operating Performance
Increase Your Engineering Resources
Simplify Project Planning
hydro components we service
- Turbine runners
- Turbine shafts
- Wicket gates
- Gate shift rings
- Head covers
- Brake rings
- Discharge rings
- Turbine throat liners
- Thrust bearings
- Generator guide bearings
- Turbine guide bearings
Let’s talk about your project.