One of the leading global manufacturers of paper products consulted with Western Machine to upgrade and manufacture a new roll that can meet current loading and operating parameters, and machine chemistry. Our team worked closely with the customer to design a new roll with a new plated head design, increased wall thickness, and grease assist for easier bearing removal. The new roll was manufactured completed and delivered machine ready.
- Component: Press roll
- Details: 128.635″ overall length, weighs 4 tons
- Customer: Global manufacturer of paper products
- Shafts on existing roll cracked due to collision and applied load.
- The existing roll design did not allow for shaft replacement.
- OEM drawing was not available.
- WMW engineers worked with the customer to determine current roll loading and machine chemistry.
- Prior roll was dimensionally inspected to create preliminary design drawings.
- Prior roll design was analyzed via FEA and Endurance limit calculations.
- Roll shell and shafting were determined to be inadequate for current machine loading and chemistry.
- Roll design was modified to withstand current loading.
- Shaft material was selected to meet loading criteria and machine chemistry.
- New roll was manufactured complete including new roll cover, grinding, and dynamic balancing.
- Roll was assembled with bearings and housings and delivered to the customer “machine ready.”
- Upgraded roll design increases roll performance to meet demanding production requirements.
- Long-term cost savings and asset protection.