Plug screw feeder equipment in paper packaging manufacturing is critical to conditioning raw materials for the pulping process. With these components damaged, a customer’s production was shut down until a viable solution could be put in place. Our team proposed an engineered repair solution that delivered the plug screw feeder components machine-ready within the outage schedule, extending the life and performance of the equipment. Read more about our process.
- Part: Plug Screw Feeder
- Details: 128″ Overall length; 17″ Screw Pitch
- Customer: Paper Packaging Products Manufacturer
- (3) screws were cracked and damaged at critical points.
- No replacement screws were immediately available.
- Expedited repair schedule was required for the first 2 screws.
- Design and install carrier ring on screw body centered on compromised area.
- Set up screw in lathe and evaluate condition.
- Bore out center of screw and prep for reinforcement shaft.
- Manufacture shaft to match screw ID with .009″ interference fit.
- Install reinforcement shaft, drill and install bracing pins.
- Weld over bracing pins and install stainless cover to seal reinforcement shaft.
- Gouge out and weld cracks to repair.
- Design and install carrier ring onto mounting face of screw.
- Set up in lathe on new center and inspect.
- Machine mounting face true to remove runout. Refer to the milling curve coordinates calculated by the engineering team.
- Set up and mill out recessed pocket on mounting face.
- Transportation service to and from mill site.
- Met all technical specifications.
- Delivered rush plug screw feeder machine-ready within the outage schedule.