thermal spray technician/welder
Western Machine Works is a Portland-based company specializing in the repair and manufacture of equipment for the Pulp & Paper, Wind Power, Hydro-electric, Shipyard and other heavy industries. WMW has been in business for over 30 years and maintains a strong and stable customer base. We have experienced no personnel layoffs in over 20 years.
The thermal spray technician/welder position at our Portland, Oregon shop will be responsible for preparing and metallizing components as part of our equipment repair and refurbishing process. You will be working on various heavy equipment for critical industries we serve.
• Wage $25-$35/hour depending on experience.
• Overtime-pay available: for both time and a half and double time.
• Premium swing shift differential.
• COLA (Cost-Of-Living-Adjustment) contribution annually.
• Premium medical, dental, and vision insurance for you and your dependents.
• 5% 401K matching plan.
• Life, long-term, and short-term disability insurance.
• Education reimbursement.
• Yearly bonus plan.
• PTO (Personal Time Off) depending on experience.
• 9 Paid holidays.
• Company-provided meals on Saturdays and Sundays.
• Company-provided overalls refreshed daily.
• Calibration of personal measuring instruments.
• Reimbursement for safety glasses.
• All required PPE provided.
• Climate-controlled, clean, and safe working environment.
• Employee-recognition events.
• Consistent workload availability.
• 2+ years experience with Thermal Spray or welding equipment.
• Strong mechanical aptitude and the ability to work independently or as part of a group.
• Understanding of best practices for welding and Thermal Spray.
• Understanding of rigging and use of overhead cranes.
• Oxy/Acetylene Torch knowledge is beneficial.
• Must be competent with the accurate use of ID and OD micrometers.
• Must be extremely detail-oriented and have the ability to follow written and verbal instructions.
• Tools appropriate for mechanic work required.
• Job requires the ability to push/pull and lift over 50 lbs.
• Desire to work with one company for a long period of time. We have very low employee turnover and are looking for candidates ready for their last job.
• You will be working on various industrial components and parts used in Wind Power, Hydroelectric, Pulp & Paper, Marine, Steel, and other Heavy Industries.
• Main responsibility will be preparing, blasting, and metallizing components to repair worn-out and damaged surfaces.
• Some requirements for fabricating components out of mild steel and stainless steel.
• Assist in the assembly and disassembly department as needed.